Travel to Aarhus
Visitors from outside of the EU should remember to check the requirements for entry into Denmark before planning their travel. In particular, due to the recent change, visitors from the UK are reminded to check the rules for travel within the EU to see if a visa will be required for their visit to Denmark.
Copenhagen airport is the largest airport in Denmark, but there are also two smaller airports in the area, Aarhus (Tirstrup) and Billund (see the map below).
Airports in Denmark
View DK Airports in a larger map. Legend
Aarhus Airport (AAR)
- Aarhus Airport (Tirstrup) is small and has regular arrivals from Copenhagen (4 or 5 flights a day during the week) and London (Stansted). There are a few other direct flights into Aarhus which operate once or twice a week, for details see the website. The London flights are from Stansted and are operated by Ryanair. The flights between Aarhus and Copenhagen are operated by SAS and if you are flying into Copenhagen using SAS or one of the Star Alliance airlines then it is useful to book the connecting flight to Aarhus as part of the same ticket.
- There is a 45 minute bus ride (925X) to the centre of Aarhus which costs 115 DKK*, and stops both close to the University (see the map directly below) and in the centre of the city (see map at the bottom of the page). Click here
for the timetable for this bus service (in English). Buses are scheduled for each arriving or departing flight at the airport and typically leave around 20-25 minutes after a flight arrives. The bus stop is directly outside the terminal building by the exit in the arrivals area.
View Aarhus airport - University bus stop in a larger map
- Further information regarding Aarhus airport can be found at http://www.aar.dk which gives details (in English and Danish) of flights, the bus service and car rental.
Billund Airport (BLL)
- Billund Airport is much larger than Aarhus Airport and has arrivals from Paris CDG, London City, Brussels, Amsterdam, Munich, Frankfurt, Copenhagen and many others. Ryanair fly into Billund airport from several destinations including London Stanted, Barcelona, Milan, Pisa and Rome.
- The bus ride into the centre of Aarhus takes ~1hr and 30 minutes and costs 162DKK*. Please note that if you take a bus between midnight and ~06:00 the fare is doubled. The bus which travels between Billund Airport and Aarhus is the 912X. The bus stops in the centre of the city next to the main railway station and terminates at the coach station. The location of the stops is shown on the map at the bottom of this page. The timetable for this bus service can be found here .
Copenhagen Airport (CPH)
Copenhagen Airport (Kastrup) is the largest airport in Denmark, with hundreds of flights a day from around the world. To reach Aarhus from this airport you need to either take a connecting flight into Aarhus airport or take a train.
- By air from Copenhagen to Aarhus: The flight takes only 20 minutes and if your flight into Copenhagen is with one of the
Star Alliance airlines you can usually buy the connecting flight to Aarhus included in the ticket.
You will then need to take the airport bus into the centre of Aarhus (see above).
- By train from Copenhagen to Aarhus: There are direct trains from the airport to the centre of Aarhus, which take about 3 hrs 30 mins. (There are other trains which require a change at Copenhagen main railway station). The price of a one way ticket is 414 DKK* and to reserve a seat** is 30 DKK (recommended for journeys during peak hours in the morning and evening). For more information see the train information below.
Aarhus main train station
The main train station in Aarhus is in the centre of the city. There is a direct service from Copenhagen to Aarhus which takes about 3 hours, with at least one train an hour. Click here for the DSB journey planner to find more about train services within Denmark.
- There are also some train connections to other European countries, including a daily, direct train from Berlin, which takes about 6 hrs 30 mins.
The Deutsche Bahn (DB) online timetable.
The map below shows the location of the bus stops for Aarhus (Tirstrup) and Billund airports and the main train station.
View Airport bus stops in the centre of Aarhus in a larger map. Legend
*Prices are correct as of January 2021
**Due to the corona virus pandemic (January 2021), it is currently required that EVERYONE has a seat reservation when travelling by train and is included in the ticket price.
Last Modified 19 May 2021